The Sword in the Schoolyard - Student Matinee Performance
VIVA! Youth Singers of Toronto is proud to present the world premiere of Toronto-based composer Dean Burry's new opera The Sword in the Schoolyard. With generous funding from the Ontario Arts Council, Artscape; and arts patrons Roger Moore, Hon. E. Ria Tzimas, Mr. Spyros Volonakis and Family; and the Stratton Trust, we are thrilled to present this new and exciting opera for children and youth.
The Sword in the Schoolyard transplants the characters and themes of Arthurian Legend to the modern playground, maintaining the rich conflicts of the ancient texts. The libretto follows young Arthur who, in the midst of personal difficulties, looks out onto his schoolyard and sees through the complexities of the playground’s politics. He envisions himself transformed as an agent of goodwill who can restore balance to this world, and thus begins a journey to become the “king of the schoolyard.” The audience follows Arthur’s rocky navigation through the waters of popularity and power as he struggles to keep hold of his crown.
A special Student Matinee performance will be held on Friday June 3 at 1:30 pm at Daniels Spectrum, 585 Dundas St E, Toronto, ON M5A 2B7. Tickets to the School Matinee are offered to classes at a cost of $10 per ticket with one free ticket for every 10 purchased.
Some highlights of the production include:
• a cast of over 100 children and youth, ages 4-25+;
• accompaniment by a string orchestra, composed of high school students from across the city;
• dramatic direction by David Ambrose, teacher at Etobicoke School of the Arts;
• music direction by Carol Woodward Ratzlaff, Artistic Director of VIVA! and teacher at North Toronto C.I.;
• a Q & A session with directors and members of the cast following the performance.
VIVA! Youth Singers of Toronto
427 Bloor Street West, P.O. Box 5, Toronto, ON, Canada
Make sure your information is up to date. Plus use our free tools to find new customers.