Taking the Stress out of Aerobic Exercise:Best Practice for Stroke
Stroke and Cardiac Rehab therapists and nurses will learn Best Practices for Prescription of Aerobic Exercise for persons with stroke.
Presented by Dr. Ada Tang (McMaster), Dr. Liz Inness (UHN) , Dr. Bill McIlroy (UWaterloo ) and Dr. Matthew Foster (Physiatrist in Cardiac Rehab).
- Describe current evidence for benefits of aerobic exercise and the link to post -stroke rehabilitation, recovery and health.
- Describe methods of pre-exercise screening and exercise testing, including submaximal exercise test.
- Develop and aerobic exercise prescription for individuals with stroke using results of an exercise test (maximal or sub maximal)
- Identify common barriers and discuss potential strategies to overcome implementation barriers
- Discuss potential for collaboration between stroke and cardiac rehab to promote best practice of exercise after stroke.
8:00 am Registration and Continental Breakfast - A4 Audtiorium Juravinski Hospital
8:30 am Evidence and pre-exercise screening - Drs. Ada Tang and Liz Inness
10:00 am BREAK
10:15 am Developing an exercise prescription - Drs. Tang and Inness
11:00 am Cardiac Rehab Perspective : How do I know my patient is safe to exercise?- Dr. Matthew Foster
12:00 pm LUNCH on your own at Nora's Fresh Cafe or Atrium Cafe (voucher provided)
1:00 pm Hands - on Practice - exercise testing . Employee Wellness Centre M-1 , Room 15, Juravinski Cancer Centre (connected to hospital)
2:30 pm Putting it into Practice - Dr. Bill McIlroy ( Lecture Theatre M4 , Juravinski Cancer Centre)
3:45 pm Wrap up and Evaluation
Please wear running shoes and comfortable clothing - we will be using exercise equipment for parts of the day.
Parking available in 2 hospital lots on Concession St (across from Juravinski Hospital and beside the Juravinski Cancer Centre) at a cost of $20 for the day.
A continental breakfast will be served. Lunch is on your own but you will be provided with a voucher for Nora's Fresh Cafe .
We will be moving between rooms in the hospital and Juravinski Hospital in order to provide the hands- on experience.