Rhoda Readings - a Book Club
EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
Are you interested in exploring concepts in spirituality and personal development through books?
This is a perfect way to take a look at spirituality through reading and discussing with similarly curious readers!
Some of the topics of discussion:
- What is spirituality? How is it different from religion?
- Does spirituality help us get past some of the stock ideas about religion that have been presented to us?
- Is the spiritual experience truly universal or is it unique to each individual?
- What are the differences and common themes in spiritual traditions across various religions?
- Can spiritual people find common ground that allows for harmony and spiritually-based brotherhood and sisterhood, regardless of religion?
- Is spirituality a feeling or a practice or a worldview?
- What is it about spirituality that makes it so popular in our modern secular context which has largely given up on religion?
- What aspects of spirituality can help us lead better lives as humans in relation to ourselves, our environment and one another?
Our first book will be:
Holistic Islam: Sufism, Transformation, and the Needs of Our Time by Kabir Helminski (copies for sale at the Rhoda).
About the book:
Today's world is desperately in need of a spirituality that is free of dogma, one that can reconcile the human and spiritual realms. In his new book, renowned spiritual teacher Kabir Helminski gives us a compelling interpretation of spiritual or holistic Islam.