Positive Advocacy with Ed Mahony: Helping Parents be Heard by Ontario School Boards
Positive Advocacy: practical, proven and positive strategies to work with Schools to support children with Autism Spectrum Disoder as well as other educational needs.
In this workshop Ed Mahony, special education teacher and advocate, will explore what you really need to know to work with educational staff to meet your child’s needs. Topics include:
- Special education legislation
- What really counts in the Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- The Identification, Placement And Review Committee (IPRC)
- Understanding the reality of Ontario schools
- Approaches to working with staff that really work
- The legal framework surrounding special education: The Special Education Tribunal & The Ontario Human Rights Commission – Review of key decisions
- Secondary schools and what is possible.
Take Aways from the Workshop:
- Step by step procedures for “doing” advocacy
- Letter/correspondence templates
- Access to webinars to review key information
- List of important resources.
Workshop includes private one hour family consultation by phone, if requested. Coffee and tea will be provided.
Alternative ways to pay for the workshop.
You can register then pay via etransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also register then pay via cheque - cheque payable to Ed Mahony. Mailing address 164 Rosedale Ave, Hamilton ON, L8K 4N5
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Parking is provided at the South Oshawa Community Centre.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?jj
Feel free to contact Ed at email@example.com.