Get acquainted with the MakerLabs metalshop! This orientation covers the drill press, cold cut saw, bandsaw, brake press, roller, and universal bender, and the basic safety requirements necessary for working in the shop. This safety and basic-use course is geared towards those who want to get familiar with the cutting and shaping tools most commonly needed when working with metal, and it is a perfect companion to our Welding 101 orientation.
Horizontal band saw, drill press, angle grinder, sheet metal brake, shear, bender and various hand tools. Please note: this class does not cover the, MIG welder or TIG welder. Those are all covered in their own courses.
Various metal cutting, drilling and shaping techiques.
- Metal shop appropriate clothing:
- safety gear required (safety glasses, hearing protection, masks, respirators when needed (dust and fumes))
- Long sleeved shirt
- Full length pants which fit over your boots – to stop hot metal/sparks from getting into your footwear
- Natural fibers – Do not wear synthetics, they melt into the skin
- Closed toed shoes – Preferably leather
- Long hair, drawstrings and shirt tails/sleeves tucked in/ tied back, safety glasses at all times in shop, hearing protection recommended
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
The minimum age for participants is 13 years old with a particpating guardian or 18 otherwise.
What are my parking options at MakerLabs?
MakerLabs' parking lot is located on the east side of the building on the corner of Hawks Avenue and East Cordova Street.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Can I sign up for the member rate?
If you sign up for a membership on the day of the class, you'll receive a refund for the difference between the general and membership class price.
How do I cancel or reschedule my class?
Refunds (minus Eventbrite fees) or credit for future classes will only be provided if we are notified by email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance of the class. No refunds will be provided for late cancellation, but we do offer a 50% credit towards a future class.
What happens if I show up late?
Please arrive 15 minutes before the schedule start of the class so that it can start on time. Attendees arriving more than 5 minutes late will not be allowed in the class, and no refund will be provided.