Building an Innovation Hub in Port Moody: What Are the Key Ingredients?
This event will explore what it takes cultivate local tech hubs across the province, and in particular, what the key ingredients are for supporting the establishment of an innovation hub in Port Moody and similar-sized B.C. communities.
Register to take part in an interactive panel discussion featuring Rick Glumac, B.C.’s Parliamentary Secretary for Technology and MLA for Port Moody-Coquitlam, as well as the following special guest speakers:
- Raghwa Gopal, President + CEO, Innovate BC
- James Hursthouse, Chief Strategy Officer, AMPD Technologies
- Brenda Bailey, Executive Director, DigiBC
- Monica Morgan, Director, Complex Projects Consulting
- Joji Kumagai, Economic Development Officer, City of Port Moody
- Stephanie Cotichini, Founder, 81 Monkeys
- Ted Gervan, Dean of Applied Sciences, Capilano University
Key topics that the panelists will be discussing include:
- How other regional tech hubs (e.g. Victoria or Kelowna/Okanagan) have seen notable success and growth
- The ingredients for supporting growth in the local tech scene
- How to quantify existing advantages and assets
- Any risks or gaps to consider
- The elements needed to make a tech hub a success (e.g., access to transit, affordable housing, office space)
- How to make connections with other regional hubs
This discussion is taking place as place as a result of the rapid increase of new innovative companies, potential partnerships with post-secondary institutions, and interest from larger, growing tech firms, all of which is generating awareness of regional tech opportunities. You’re invited to attend if you’re interested in:
- Contributing to a dialogue about tech and innovation
- Exploring the role of government/community partners in developing municipalities around tech and innovation
- Sharing ideas and insights that support a shared understanding of the opportunities and essential elements for growth of the tech sector in Port Moody
- Informing future planning around tech and innovation hubs
This and future discussions in other communities will help to inform future planning around tech and innovation hubs in B.C., with a focus on those outside of major urban centres.
6:00pm: Registration & Networking
6:40pm: Panel Discussion (Part 1)
7:20pm: Panel Discussion (Part 2)
8:00pm: Closing Remarks & Networking
Innovate BC is a one stop service centre to connect innovators — large and small — with BC government funding, tools, resources and support. Every day, staff at Innovate BC come to work to serve and celebrate innovation in British Columbia, helping our industries grow, while ensuring the benefits of our thriving technology sector are felt by people in all regions of our province. Innovate BC is a Crown Agency of the Province of B.C.
The Ministry of Jobs, Economic Development and Competitiveness manages government services that help support and maintain the strong and diverse economy that British Columbians need for long-term prosperity. It’s the ministry’s mandate to grow B.C.’s technology sector, champion innovation, nurture small businesses, support economic development throughout the province, and promote B.C. internationally as a preferred place to invest and do business.