ASIST workshop (GUELPH)
ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training): ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid. Participants learn to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Designed for anyone in a position of trust, including service providers, teachers, youth workers, emergency workers, counsellors, faith leaders, community volunteers, family and friends.
Participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop – ASIST can be learned and used by anyone 16 years of age and older.
Goals and Objectives of ASIST:
- Understand the ways personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first-aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
Life Voice workshop & wellness centre
589 Woolwich St, Guelph, ON, Canada