100 Plates: Toronto's First Participatory Neighbourhood Supper Club
Bringing together 100+ Toronto residents from each of the city's 16 east end neighbourhoods for a shared community meal.
You're invited! The Welcome Project is convening a pop-up supper club in local community assets across Toronto's east end. The dinners will bring together diverse residents and leaders to discuss topics important to east Toronto.
The inaugural dinner focuses on how we can build community through dynamic local spaces - within
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 'PARTICIPATORY' SUPPER CLUB?
Here's the plan in three steps:
Partner with an amazing local venue creating positive social change in the east end ✓.
The event will be held at the Carrot Green Roof. The Carrot Green Roof is a unique collaboration of artists, gardeners, entrepreneurs, researchers and community members that have come together to create a beautiful place to serve and protect the environment and sustain members of the community both in body and in spirit.
The garden was built largely by men in second stage recovery who resided in the Seeds of Hope Broadview Homes and is planted and harvested by a vast array of community groups and individuals including their women’s shelter ‘Lazarus House’ and those from 6 St. Joseph House who are seeking community and healing from isolation, mental illness, addiction, and poverty. Learn more about this incredible urban oasis made possible by Seeds of Hope
Team up with local champions who can participate as Neighbourhood Ambassadors from each of east Toronto's neighbourhoods (in progress).
Ask Ambassadors to:
- share the story of a great community space in their neighbourhood that feels welcoming; and,
- help spread the word in their community and extend dinner invitations to their neighbours (a friend from the dog park, your favourite cashier at the local grocery store, that friendly stranger you see on the 510 streetcar every morning, etc).
Sign up to become a *Neighbourhood Ambassador* by emailing jordanawright [at] eastendunited.ca
We're looking for representatives from the neighbourhoods below. Let us know if we've missed your east Toronto 'hood.
The Beach | Broadview North | Crescent Town | East Chinatown | Danforth East ✓ | Gerrard India Bazaar | Greektown | Leslieville ✓ | Main Square | O'Connor-Parkview | Pape Village | Playter Estates ✓ | Port Lands | Riverdale ✓ | Upper Beach | Woodbine Heights
Jordana's Danforth East story coming soon
Identify local organizations, representatives, businesses, and economic catalysts who would make great Volunteer Table Hosts.
Ask Volunteer Table Hosts to:
- make all the participants at their table(s) feel welcome and included in conversation;
- guide attendees in discussion of their personal stories, as well as challenges and opportunities in their neighbourhoods, community space, and the future of the city; and,
- extend an invitation to local restaurants, culinary programs, and chefs to help create the meal.
Sign up to become a *Volunteer Table Host* by emailing jordanawright [at] eastendunited.ca
CHECK OUT THESE PHOTOS FROM OUR LAST EVENT!
Co-creating a New Toronto Hub: Introducing the Welcome Project
An opportunity for tech, arts, food, and sports groups to submit expressions of interest and design ideas for the project @Eastminster.